Filing a Consumer Complaint before Consumer Court


The Consumer may file case / claim before Authority/DC or Consumer Court which is headed by the District & Session judge.

 Steps for Filing Consumer Complaint:

1. 15-Days Legal Notice to Service Provider:

Consumer should serve a fifteen days legal notice on plain paper to the provider of defective product or faulty service(s), as the case may be, stating therein that he / she / they will redress the damage suffered by him / her / them and consequently pay damages to the consumer within fifteen days of receipt of legal notice, otherwise the consumer may file a claim for redressal of his / her / their grievance before Consumer Court.

a. Legal notice should be served to the manufacturers / sellers of product(s) and to the service provider, in case of provision of service, especially through registered post / mail, along-with acknowledgement.

b. There is a limitation of 30 days (from arising of cause of action) for filing a complaint in the consumer court.

c. Serving a 15 days legal notice is pre-requisite for filing claim in Consumer Court.

2. Before Consumer Court:

If matter is not resolved through legal notice, then consumer may file a case / claim on plain paper for redressal of his / her / their grievance before the Consumer Court within subsequent fifteen days.

Case / claim may be filed by the consumer himself / herself / themself or through a Lawyer.

No Court fee is required for filing claim before Consumer Court.

3. Before Authority / DC

Any person may file a complaint for violation of provision of following Sections of the Act before the Authority/DC who, on being satisfied that such is the case, fine the violator that may extend to PKR 50,000 (Rupees fifty thousand only):

Section- 11: Duty of disclosure regarding Products

Section- 16: Duty of disclosure regarding Services

Section- 18: Prices to be exhibited at the business place

Section- 19: Receipt to be issued to the purchaser

Note: No legal notice is required for filing complaints before Authority.

The Consumer Court shall decide the claim within six months after the service of summons on the respondent.

Need Any Legal Help?? Let's Consult !

contact form